- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Henri Vever 1854 - 1942
Francois Mautin French, born 1907
Two folios of a Qur'an; Illuminated frontispiece, folio (1): right-hand half of a double-page frontispiece, recto: Shamsa, Dibacha; verso: Sura I, "The Opening," verses 1-5; folio (2): left-hand half of a double-page frontispiece, recto: Sura I, "The Opening," verses 5-7; verso: Sura II, "The Cow," verses 1-7.
Border: The text is set in illuminated rulings on a paper with geometric motifs.
Inscriptions: (dibacha) Say: Verily, through mankind and the jinn should; assemble to produce the like of this Koran, they could not; produce the like thereof though they were helpers one of another; [Sura XVII: 88]. Verily God the High and Exalted tells the truth andpraise be to God the beneficent.
- Published References
- Elaine Wright. Lapis and Gold: Exploring Chester Beatty’s Ruzbihan Qur’an. London, England. figs. 306, 307, 308a, 308b, 309, 311.
- Middle East Association Bulletin. vol. 27, no. 2, December 1993. cover.
- Encyclopaedia of the Qur'an. 5 vols., Boston and Leiden. fig. 6.
- Glenn D. Lowry, Milo Cleveland Beach, Elisabeth West FitzHugh, Susan Nemanzee, Janet Snyder. An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 7-8, p. 19.
- Thomas W. Lentz. Pictures for the Islamic Book: Persian and Indian Painting in the Vever Collection. vol. 1, no. 4 New York, Fall 1988. p. 24, fig. 9.
- Oleg Grabar. Masterpieces of Islamic Art: The Decorated Page from the 8th to the 17th Century., English edition. New York. p. 56, pl. 2.
- Glenn D. Lowry Susan Nemanzee. A Jeweler's Eye: Islamic Arts of the Book from the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 2, p. 64-67.
- Ideals of Beauty: Asian and American Art in the Freer and Sackler Galleries. Thames and Hudson World of Art London and Washington, 2010. pp. 130-131.
- Hunt for Paradise: Court Arts of Safavid Iran, 1501-1576. Exh. cat. Milan. pp. 148-9, fig. 5.6.
- Henry René d'Allemagne. Du Khorassan au pays des Backhtiaris, trois mois de voyage en Perse. Paris. p. 166.
- Assadullah Souren Melikian-Chirvani. Le Chant du Monde: L'Art de l'Iran safavide, 1501-1736. Exh. cat. Paris. cat. 60, pp. 258-259.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum