- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Kathryn Scott Kubichek American, 1919 - 2008
Rectangular, partially glazed earthenware tile, with deep molded curvilinear relief designs. Only the wide depressions are glazed, with a light blue/turquoise glaze. The tile is constructed of a thick slab of clay, cut in a V-shape at one end and having a very thick ridge or hand hold along the center back, possibly for the original impression and also for mounting on a wall.
In the Persian world, architectural decoration in the form of partially glazed terra cotta dates to 12th-century Nishapur (Khorasan), but the elegant, curvelinear design of this particular fragment suggests a later date. On the basis of the decoration and surface treatment, it is tempting to propose that the tile belongs to a transitional period--one that flourished between the fall of the Il-khanid dynasty in 1353 and the rise of the Timurids in the early 15th century. It probably represents a link between Il-khanid preference for carved, unglazed architectural surfaces and Timurid preoccupation with faience mosaic as the predominant form of architectural decoration in the early 15th century.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum