From at least 1953 to 1954
C. C. Wang (1907-2003), New York, from at least February 2, 1953 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased through Warren E. Cox & Associates, New York from C. C. Wang in February 1954 
 The painting was delivered to the Freer Gallery by Warren E. Cox, acting on behalf of C. C. Wang, on February 2, 1953, see “Chinese Paintings taken to the Freer Gallery of Art” list, dated February 2, 1953, copy in object file. The painting belongs to a group of copies made in the late 1940's by Tan Jing (1911-1991), a well-established Shanghai collector. The original painting is in the collection of the Shanghai Museum, see Xie Zhiliu, Tang, Wu dai, Song, Yuan ming ji (Shanghai, 1957), no. 29, pl. 100. See also Wen Fong, “The Problem of Forgeries in Chinese Painting: Part One,” Artibus Asiae vol. 25, no. 2/3 (1962), p. 110.
 See Warren E. Cox & Associates’ s invoice, dated February 12, 1954.
- Previous Owner(s)
C.C. Wang China, 1907-2003; active United States
Warren E. Cox 1895-1977
- Published References
- Wen C. Fong. The Problems of Forgeries in Chinese Painting, pt. 1. vol. XXV Washington and Zurich. p. 110.
- Suzuki Kei. Chugoku kaiga sogo zuroku (Comprehensive Illustrated Catalog of Chinese Painting). 5 vols., Tokyo, 1982-1983. p. 258.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Rights Statement
Copyright with artist