Hagop Kevorkian (1872-1962), New York to 1930 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from Hagop Kevorkian, New York in 1930 
 Object file, undated folder sheet note. See also Freer Gallery of Art Purchase List file, Collections Management Office.
 See note 1.
- Previous Owner(s)
Hagop Kevorkian 1872 - 1962
Detached folio from a dispersed copy of the Shahnama (Book of kings) by Firdawsi; text: Persian in black naskhi script; recto: blank; verso: illustration and text: Manuchihr's answer to Sam's letter, heading in gold, 6 columns, 14 lines; one of a group of 4 folios.
Border: The text and the painting are set in gold, black, and blue rulings on cream-colored paper.
- Published References
- A Survey of Persian Art from Prehistoric Times to the Present. 15 vols., , Reissue with corrigenda and addenda. London and New York. vol. Xii, pp. 2045, 2054.
- Lawrence Binyon, J.V.S. Wilkinson, Basil Gray. Persian Miniature Painting: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Miniatures Exhibited at Burlington House, January-March 1931. Exh. cat. Oxford, January - March 1931. no.19-20, pp. 42-3.
- Edgar Blochet. On a Book of Kings of about 1200 A.D. vol. 41 Delhi, January 1930. pp. 2-10.
- Richard Ettinghausen Ernst Kuhnel. A Survey of Persian Art from Prehistoric Times to the Present. 6 vols., London and New York, 1938 - 1939. pp.1834, 2239-40, pl. 831B.
- Oleg Grabar Sheila Blair. Epic Images and Contemporary History: The Illustrations of the Great Mongol Shahnama. Chicago. p. 192, note 10.
- Grace Dunham Guest. Notes on the Miniatures on a 13th Century Beaker. vol. 10 Ann Arbor. pp. 148-152, fig. 16.
- Marianna Shreve Simpson. The Illustration of an Epic: The Earliest Shahnama Manuscripts. Outstanding Dissertations in the Fine Arts New York and London. pp.131, 185, 280, fig. 69.
- Freer Gallery of Art. Gallery Book II: Exhibition of August 19, 1933. Washington, August 19, 1933. .
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum