Edward S. Hull Jr., New York to 1898 
From 1898 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Edward S. Hull Jr. in 1898 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Kakemono List, L. 167, pg. 37, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. Edward S. Hull Jr. was Ernest Francisco Fenollosa’s (1853-1908) lawyer. Hull often acted as an agent, facilitating purchases of objects consigned to him by Fenollosa, as well as purchases of objects consigned to him by Fenollosa's well-known associate, Bunshichi Kobayashi (see correspondence, Hull to Freer, 1898-1900, as well as invoices from E.S. Hull Jr., 1898-1900, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives). See also, Ingrid Larsen, "'Don’t Send Ming or Later Pictures': Charles Lang Freer and the First Major Collection of Chinese Painting in an American Museum," Ars Orientalis vol. 40 (2011), pgs. 15 and 34. See further, Thomas Lawton and Linda Merrill, Freer: A Legacy of Art, (Washington, DC and New York: Freer Gallery of Art and H. N. Abrams, 1993), pgs. 133-134.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Edward S. Hull Jr. (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Poem above. Signature and seal.
Above the figure of the girl is a comic ode signed Shoku Sanjin:
Shita ni sawarade
Ii-yoran koto no
Hatabako no gana.
This is a play upon words signifying the wish that he might in some gentle way make tobacco convey his love.
- Published References
- Harold P. Stern Narasaki Muneshige. Ukiyo-e shuka. vol. 16, Tokyo. no. 109.
- Hokusai nikuhitsuga taisei (Compilation of paintings by Hokusai). Tokyo. no. 72.
- Ann Yonemura. Hokusai: Volume One. Exh. cat. Washington, 2006. p. 14-15, pl. 8.
- Elisabeth West FitzHugh. A Pigment Census of Ukiyo-e Paintings in the Freer Gallery of Art. vol. 11 Washington and Ann Arbor, 1979. pp. 27-38.
- Ann Yonemura et al. Hokusai: Volume Two. Exh. cat. Washington, 2006. p. 31, 67, pl. 64.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum