Please note: all self-guided groups must pre-register below.
Bringing a self-guided group
- Familiarize yourself with the exhibitions and collections that will be on view during your visit.
- Review the “things to know” below.
- Read the museum guidelines.
- Complete the request form for self-guided groups at least one week in advance of your visit.
- See the plan your visit page for general information about accessibility, public transportation, parking, security, and dining facilities at the Smithsonian.
Things to know
- Groups of ten or more planning to visit on their own are considered “self-guided groups.”
- Walk-in tours listed in the events calendar are not designed for K-12 students and cannot accommodate large self-guided groups.
- We encourage large self-guided groups to plan their visits for Wednesdays, when we do not offer reserved group tours.
- All groups must provide at least one chaperone per ten students. Chaperones must remain with their assigned group at all times.
- Please provide clipboards if students will be writing to discourage the use of walls and display cases as writing supports.
- Pencil is the only writing implement permitted in the galleries.
- Photographs may be taken of the permanent collection but not of loan objects or exhibitions; please be aware of “no photography” signage in the galleries.
- Please indicate any accessibility requests in the “additional information” section of the request form.
- A small portion of Freer|Sackler’s vast collection is on view at any given time. We cannot guarantee that a specific object will be on display.
- The Freer│Sackler does not offer facilities for eating. For information on dining locations, go to the Smithsonian dining page.