Find yourself in the museums
Teen programs at the Freer|Sackler are exclusively for visitors ages 13–19. Take part to connect with inspirational artworks, go behind the scenes, meet artists, and get together with teens who share your interests.
Below is more information about our Teen Council and other ways to get involved. Questions? Contact us at AsiaTeens@si.edu or 202.633.0465.
The Freer|Sackler Teen Council is a group of twelve creative and dedicated high school students who help make the museums more welcoming and engaging for young people. The Teen Council plans and hosts events that bring DC-area teens to the museums to hang out, make and design art, and have unique and exciting experiences. Plus, we have a lot of fun and build an incredible community.
Schedule and commitment required:
- Members must attend all Teen Council meetings (second and fourth Thursdays from October 2017–June 2018, 4–6:30 pm).
- Members must attend one Saturday workshop per month.
- Members must help out during the teen night in May 2018.
Teen Council applicants should be:
- DC, Virginia, and Maryland high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- great at communication, problem solving, and multitasking
- enthusiastic about working on long-term projects
- excited to share ideas but also open to different perspectives and opinions
- comfortable working collaboratively in teams and committees
- interested in documentary filmmaking
Teen Council members will have the opportunity to:
- design and lead public programs for teens
- network with artists, museum staff, and other unique, motivated, and collaborative teens
- use creative skills at world-class art museums
- meet local Buddhist communities and learn more about their practices
- gain public speaking and presentation experience
- develop as leaders and thinkers
- receive Smithsonian discounts (with volunteer ID)
- earn their choice of a $600 program award or community service hours
- enjoy great snacks at each meeting!