Group tours are offered at 12:15 pm, 1:15 pm, 2:15 pm and 3:15 pm daily, except Wednesdays and federal holidays. All tours are subject to availability. Each tour lasts approximately one hour and is held in the Freer Gallery of Art and the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery.
Art across cultures
Limit: 60 participants
The creation of art is a universal human endeavor, but what connects artwork across cultures and what sets them apart? Investigate artworks from across Asia, exploring commonalities and differences in cultures, aesthetics, and ideas.
Art across cultures: Sackler
Discover outstanding works of art from throughout Asia in an hour-long, docent-led tour through the Sackler. Explore art featured in special exhibitions from varied time periods, countries, and cultures.
Explore Buddhist art
Limit: 60 participants
Delve into the art and practice of Buddhism across Asia. Tours focus on Encountering the Buddha: Art and Practice across Asia and/or our permanent collection of art from India, China, and Japan.
Japan Modern tour
Japan Modern comprises two exhibitions that trace Japan’s response to modernity—one through prints, one through photography. Join a docent for a tour of Japan Modern: Prints in the Age of Photography and Japan Modern: Photography from the Gloria Katz and Willard Huyck Collection. Along with their time period, the exhibitions are linked by a focus on place, from natural landscapes to urban scenes, that show how artists sought to understand a changing Japan through their work.
Scheduling a tour
- Choose a tour and day that works for your group.
- Review the museum guidelines.
- Submit a request at least four weeks in advance using the online form.
- Submitting a form does not guarantee a reservation.
- If you are planning to come with more individuals than the tour size limit, please contact email@example.com for more information.
- If your group is planning to visit in less than four weeks, complete the request form on the self-guided groups page.
- Walk-in tours cannot accommodate large self-guided groups.
Things to know
- Requests are handled on a first-come, first-served basis and depend on availability.
- Please indicate any special needs as “additional information” on the request form. Subject to availability, we can provide:
- tours in some foreign languages (please specify)
- tours for visually impaired visitors
- sign-language interpreters.
- Two weeks before your tour, we will email a confirmation with logistical information, including which building your group should enter.
- Please call the tour scheduler immediately at 202.633.1012 to report cancellations and changes. For weekend cancellations and changes, please call 202.633.2843 or 202.633.2834.
- A small portion of the Freer|Sackler’s vast collection is on view at any given time. We cannot guarantee that a specific object will be on display.
- For your safety, all visitors will have their bags checked. See the complete list of restricted items and bag sizes.
- Photographs may be taken of the permanent collection but not of loan objects or exhibitions; please be aware of “no photography” signage in the galleries.
- The Freer│Sackler does not offer facilities for eating. For information on dining locations, go to the Smithsonian dining page.