Please refer to the PDF file below for full text of policy and guidelines.
Freer|Sackler Special Events Policy (PDF, 161 kB).
POLICIES FOR SPECIAL EVENTS (QUICK LIST)
- All events must conform to the Smithsonian Institution’s and Freer|Sackler’s policies, mission, and goals. The Freer|Sackler does not allow events of a political, religious, promotional, or personal nature (e.g., weddings). In addition, no commercial, ticketed events are permitted.
- The Freer|Sackler is considered a co-sponsor with all donors and organizations having special events at the Freer|Sackler.
- To secure a date on the museum calendar, the Freer|Sackler requires the co-sponsoring organization to sign a special event agreement and return it with a non-refundable deposit.
- The Freer|Sackler Office of Special Events is a partner in all phases of the event process as well as a resource for assistance.
- Special events should not interfere with the normal visitation or work of the museum. The regular operating hours of the Freer|Sackler are 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- There are no parking facilities at the Freer|Sackler.
- The Freer|Sackler is not responsible for any disruptions that may occur due to mechanical difficulties, facility emergencies, construction, or unanticipated events beyond the museum’s control.
- Donations to the museum are not refundable.
- The Freer|Sackler has final approval over menu, printed materials, programming, décor, etc., to ensure special events in the museum appropriately reflect the goals and mission of the Freer|Sackler.
- Standard events at the Freer|Sackler last three hours.
POLICIES FOR VENDORS (QUICK LIST)
- All vendors for each event must secure final approval from the Freer|Sackler.
- All caterers must provide a current insurance certificate on file with the Smithsonian Institution.
- No food or drink may be consumed in the Freer|Sackler exhibition spaces.
- Red wine and red juices are prohibited.
- Any tables, chairs, bars, or other accessories used during an event must be at least 4 feet from any objects or cases.
- Sterno is permitted. Propane and butane are prohibited.
- Plastic must cover and protect all floors of the designated kitchen staging areas in the museum.
- Votive candles are permitted. Taper candles and open flames (such as flambé and stir frying) are prohibited.
- Florists and caterers must remove all flowers, trash, equipment, and debris from the museum at all events’ conclusions.
- Due to the lack of storage space at the museum, all equipment for a special event must be delivered immediately preceding set-up for the event and removed immediately after the event.
- The museum can arrange basic audio-visual support.