The Old Fort Ghauht from the Views of Calcutta

citation

Maker(s)
Artist: Thomas Daniell (1749 - 1840) William Daniell (1769 - 1837)
Historical period(s)
1787
School
Company School
Medium
Aquatint, ink, and watercolor on paper
Dimensions
H x W: 44.1 x 56.6 cm (17 3/8 x 22 5/16 in)
Geography
India
Credit Line
Gift of Lee and Roy Galloway
Accession Number
S1999.8.6
On View Location
Currently not on view
Classification(s)
Print
Type

Print

Keywords
city, India, WWII-era provenance
Provenance

From the 1960s to 1999
Lee and Roy Galloway, Easton, MD, acquired by the donors in India in the 1960s [1]

From 1999
Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, given by Lee and Roy Galloway in 1999

Notes:

[1] According to Provenance Remark 1 in the object record.

Previous Owner(s)

Mr. and Mrs. Roy Galloway

Label

When the East India Company constructed a second, larger fort in Calcutta, the Old Fort became a customs station and warehouse for goods passing through the port city. Ghats (or ghauts), sloped or stepped landing places, served as passageways for commercial lading as well as for those local inhabitants who descended the Hugli River's banks to bathe.

Collection Area(s)
South Asian and Himalayan Art
Web Resources
Google Cultural Institute
Rights Statement

Copyright with museum

Related Objects