From at least 1939
The Mrs E.R. Randon Collection, from at least 1939 
From at least 1963 to 1968
Desmond Gure, London, from at least 1963 
From 1968 to 1987
Arthur M. Sackler, New York, purchased from Desmond Gure on January 1, 1968 
Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, gift of Arthur M. Sackler in 1987 
 See, A. Salomy, Arden Gallery Catalogue, "3000 years of Chinese Jade" [New York: 1939], which lists the object in the collection of Mrs. E.R. Randon. See also, The Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities, Stockholm, Bulletin No. 36, which references ownership as part of the Rosenheim and Bennett collection (without dates of ownership). The Mrs. E.R. Randon Collection was formerly known as the Rosenheim Collection, and later the Mrs. J. Bennett Collection.
 See, the Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities, Stockholm, Bulletin No. 36, 1964, in which the object is listed as being in Desmond Gure's collection.
 According to information provided by the Arthur M. Sackler Foundation, October 9, 1968.
 Pursuant to the agreement between Arthur M. Sackler and the Smithsonian Institution, dated July 28, 1982, legal title of the donated objects was transferred to the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery on September 11, 1987.
- Previous Owner(s)
Dr. Arthur M. Sackler 1913-1987
Desmond Gure 1905 - 1970
Mrs. E. R. Randon
Small jade animals were enjoyed by China's elite as handsome decorations but also as objects to caress because of jade's unctuous, cool surface. Hounds are, in general, well regarded in China, and one of the years of the zodiac is named after the dog. This jade object might have been presented to someone born in the year of the dog. This slender animal's collar with a bell suggests it is a hunting dog.
- Published References
- et al. Asian Art in the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery: The Inaugural Gift. Washington, 1987. cat. 75, p. 120.
- Chinese Jade Animals. Exh. cat. Hong Kong. cat. 75.
- Desmond Gure The Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities. Selected Examples from the Jade Exhibition at Stockholm. no. 36 Stockholm. pl. 25.
- Bo Gyllensvard. Celadon, Jade: Finds, Specimen, Scientific Results; Exhibition. Exh. cat. Stockholm, May-June 1963. pl. 25-1.
- Jessica Rawson John Ayers. Chinese Jade Throughout the Ages: An Exhibit. Exh. cat. London. cat. 204, 73.
- Alfred Salmony. 3000 Years of Chinese Jade. Exh. cat. New York, January 10 - February 1, 1939. cat. 227.
- Edwards Park. Treasures from the Smithsonian Institution. Exh. cat. Washington, August 11 - November 5, 1984. p. 75.
- John Johnston Chan Lai Pik. 5000 Years of Chinese Jade. Exh. cat. San Antonio, Texas, 2011. cat. 51, p. 86.
- Daisy Lion-Goldschmidt Jean-Claude Moreau-Gobard. Chinese Art: Bronze, Jade, Sculpture, Ceramics. The Universe Library of Antique Art 4 vols., , 1st ed. London and New York. .
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum