- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Henri Vever 1854 - 1942
Francois Mautin French, born 1907
Detached folio from a dispersed copy of the Qur'an; right-hand half of a double-page frontispiece; separate from the facing folio S1986.84.2; recto: shamsa, Sura al-Isra (the Night journey)17: part of 88, recto begins with "al-qur'an"; verso: Sura al-Fatiha (the Opener)1:1-5, verso begins with "bismillah"; Arabic in white and gold thuluth and muhaqqaq script; vocalized in white and gold; one column; 4 lines of text; one of a group of two folios.
Border: The text is set in an illuminated border.
Inscriptions: (Shamsa) Say: Verily, though mankind and the jinn should assemble to produce the like of this Koran, they could not produce the like thereof though they were helpers one of another; [Sura Isra: 88].
- Published References
- Glenn D. Lowry, Milo Cleveland Beach, Elisabeth West FitzHugh, Susan Nemanzee, Janet Snyder. An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 9, p. 20.
- Henry René d'Allemagne. Du Khorassan au pays des Backhtiaris, trois mois de voyage en Perse. Paris. p. 164.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum