- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Francois Mautin French, born 1907
Henri Vever 1854 - 1942
Detached folio from a Qur'an; recto: Sura al-Sharh (the Relief), sura 94: part of 7-8, Sura al-Tin (the Fig), sura 95:1-8, Sura al-Alaq (the Clot), sura 96:1-10 and part of 11, recto begins with "faraghta", one column, 13 lines of text; verso: sura 96:11-19, Sura al-Qadr (the Power), sura 97:1-5, Sura al-Bayyina (the Clear proof), sura 98:1and part of 2, verso begins with "ankana",one column, 13 lines of text; Arabic in black, blue, white and gold naskh, thuluth and muhaqqaq script, sura headings in white and gold thuluth and muhaqqaq script; vocalized in black with red letters for reading and recitation, marginal medallions and inscription; one of a group of twenty folios.
Border: Text is set in gold, red, blue and purple rulings on cream-colored paper with marginal medallions.
Recto: bottom left: waqf (endowment)
- Published References
- Glenn D. Lowry, Milo Cleveland Beach, Elisabeth West FitzHugh, Susan Nemanzee, Janet Snyder. An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 29, p. 23.
- Edwin Binney 3rd. Turkish Treasures from the Collection of Edwin Binney, 3rd: 1981 Supplement to the 1979 Catalogue. San Diego. cat. 61a, p. 2.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum