- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Henri Vever 1854 - 1942
Francois Mautin French, born 1907
Detached folio from a Qur'an; recto: Sura al-Bayyina (the Clear Proof), sura 98: part of 2,3-8, Sura al-Zalzala (The Earthquake), sura 99:1-8, recto begins with "suhufa", one column, 15 lines of text; verso: Sura al-Adiyat (The Courser), sura 100:1-11, Sura al-Qari'a (The Calamity), sura 101:1-11, Sura al-Takathur (The Piling up), sura 102: 1-2 and part of 3, verso begins with "wal'adyat", one column, 13 lines of text; Arabic in black, blue, white and gold naskh, thuluth and muhaqqaq script, sura headings in white and gold thuluth and muhaqqaq script; vocalized in black with red letters for reading and recitation; marginal medallions and inscription; one of a group of twenty folios.
Border: The recto/verso is set in gold, red, blue and purple rulings on cream-colored paper.
Recto: bottom left, waqf (endowment)
- Published References
- Edwin Binney 3rd. Turkish Treasures from the Collection of Edwin Binney, 3rd: 1981 Supplement to the 1979 Catalogue. San Diego. cat. 61a, p. 2.
- Sacred Beauty: A Millennium of Religious Art, 600-1600. Exh. cat. Knoxville, TN. pp. 20-23.
- Glenn D. Lowry, Milo Cleveland Beach, Elisabeth West FitzHugh, Susan Nemanzee, Janet Snyder. An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 28, p. 23.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum