- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Francois Mautin French, born 1907
Henri Vever 1854 - 1942
Detached folio from a dispersed copy of the Qur'an; left -hand half of a double-page frontispiece; Sura al-Baqara (the Cow), sura 2:1-4; verse begins with "bismillah"; Arabic in black naskh script, sura heading in white kufic with gold rosette verse markers; vocalized in black with red letters for recitation and reading; one column; 6 lines of text.
Border: The text is set in an illuminated border, mounted on gold-sprinkled paperboard.
- Published References
- Glenn D. Lowry, Milo Cleveland Beach, Elisabeth West FitzHugh, Susan Nemanzee, Janet Snyder. An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 3, p. 15.
- Glenn D. Lowry Susan Nemanzee. A Jeweler's Eye: Islamic Arts of the Book from the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 1, p. 63.
- Dr. Massumeh Farhad. Arts of the Islamic World at the Sackler. vol. 43, no.3 Washington. p. 44, fig. 7.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum