- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Francois Mautin French, born 1907
Henri Vever 1854 - 1942
Detached folio from a Qur'an; recto: Sura Abasa (He frowned), sura 80: part of 41-42, Sura al-Takwir (the Overthrowing), sura 81: 1-27, recto begins with "qataratan" one column, 14 lines of text ; verso: sura 81:27-29, Sura al-Infitar (the Cleaving), sura 82:1-19 and the title of Sura al-Mutaffifin, verso begins with "lil'alamin", one column, 14 lines of text; Arabic in black, blue, white and gold naskh and muhaqqaq scripts, sura headings in white thuluth script, vocalized in black with red letters for reading and recitation, marginal medallion and inscription; one of a group of twenty folios.
Border: Text is set in gold, red, blue and purple rulings on cream-colored paper with marginal medallions.
Recto: bottom left: waqf (endowment)
- Published References
- Glenn D. Lowry, Milo Cleveland Beach, Elisabeth West FitzHugh, Susan Nemanzee, Janet Snyder. An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 24, p. 23.
- Edwin Binney 3rd. Turkish Treasures from the Collection of Edwin Binney, 3rd: 1981 Supplement to the 1979 Catalogue. San Diego. cat. 61a, p. 2.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum