John A. Pope (1906-1982), Washington D.C., collected between August 1956 and April 1957 in Angkor, Cambodia. 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of John A. Pope, Washington D.C. 
 See Curatorial Remark 2 in the object record. See also “Ceramics in Mainland and Southeast Asia: Collections in the Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery”, copy in object file, Collections Management Office.
 See note 1. See also object file, Collections Management Office.
- Previous Owner(s)
Dr. John Alexander Pope 1906 - 1982
Shape: Fragment of the side wall of a covered ceramic box. The box wall is 0.6 - 0.7 cm thick. The upper portion of the shard appears to be indented in the shape of a flange over which a cover would have fit. There is not enough of the flange remaining to determine its exact shape. Wheel-thrown.
Clay: Very fine-grained, white, porcelain clay having many fine, dark inclusions and few air pockets.
Glaze: A pale seawater-green glaze covers both the outside and inside of the box shard. The inside coating, however, is very thin. The glaze on the outside is uncrackled and assumes a deeper green hue where it pools in the incised design.
Decoration: Vertical incised lines reach from the edge of the flange to the bottom of the shard.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum