From at least 1951
Mr. Owen, Aberystwyth, Wales, from at least 1951 
Francesca Galloway, London, to 2005
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from Francesca Galloway in 2005
 The object was in the collection of Mr. Owen of Aberystwyth, Wales as early as 1951. Francesca Galloway has provided copies of a letter (dated March 28, 1951) and an object report (dated March 20, 1951) in which an unknown art specialist (signature not legible) remarks to Mr. Owen that he was fortunate to have acquired "a museum piece and antique of this kind [in a sale of] odds and ends," (according to Curatorial Note 4, Debra Diamond, April 28, 2005, in the object record).
- Previous Owner(s)
Portraits of women at the Mughal court are rare, and this portrait's eroticism is unprecedented. Comparing the generic face of the beauty depicted on the back cover of the mirror case with this woman's somewhat pointed nose and smallish eyes, however, gives the sense that this is a specific person.
The portrait's exquisite refinement, the artist's renown, and the painting's date suggest that it was produced for Emperor Jahangir (1569- 1627) or his son Shah Jahan (1592-1666), the builder of the Taj Mahal. The small oval painting clearly was valued long after those who knew the woman had passed away. It was placed against the sparkling ground and set within the mirror case almost a century after its creation.
- Published References
- Milo Cleveland Beach, Stuart Cary Welch, Glenn D. Lowry. The Grand Mogul: Imperial Painting in India 1600-1660. Williamstown, MA. .
- Milo Cleveland Beach. King of the World: The Padshahnama: An Imperial Mughal Manuscript from the Royal Library, Windsor Castle. Exh. cat. London, 1997. .
- Arts of Mughal India: Studies in Honour of Robert Skelton. London, Ahmedabad, and New York. .
- Nasser D. Khalili, B. W. Robinson, Tim Stanley. Lacquer of the Islamic Lands. Nasser D. Khalili Collection of Islamic Art, no. 22 London. .
- The New Cambridge History of India. 4 vols., New York and Cambridge. .
- The St. Petersburg Muraqqa': Album of Indian and Persian Miniatures from the 16th through the 18th Century and Specimens of Persian Calligraphy by Imad al-Hasani. 2 vols., Milano. .
- John Seyller. Journal of the David Collection. vol. 3, Copenhagen. pp. 130-159, figs.12,13,15,16.
- Milo Cleveland Beach. The Imperial Image: Paintings for the Mughal Court., 2nd. Washington and Ahmedabad, India, 2012. cat. 56, p. 186.
- Collection Area(s)
- South Asian and Himalayan Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum