- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Robert Hatfield Ellsworth 1929-2014
When the great Han dynasty was first established, day after day the emperor was afforded no leisure. By the eras of emperors Wu and Xuan, they finally honored the ritual officers and examined literature. Within the palace, they set up the offices of the Bronze Horse Gate and the Stone Canal Pavilion.
The Bronze Horse Gate was located in the city of Chang'an (modern Xi'an, Shaanxi Province), the imperial capital of the Han dynasty (206 B.C.E.-220 C.E.). The gate received this name because of a large bronze statue of a Ferghana horse, erected by the order of Emperor Wu (reigned 140-87 B.C.E.), that stood in front of the government office where officials gathered to await the imperial summons.
Wang Shi, a native of Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, learned calligraphy from his well-educated father and was skillful in seal script and seal carving by the time he was a teenager. As here, his works are always symmetrical in composition and subtle in execution.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Rights Statement
Copyright with artist