Paul Nugent 
Nasli and Alice Heeramaneck, New York 
David Newman, London, to 1997
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from David Newman in 1997
 According to Curatorial Note 3, Vidya Dehejia, December 10, 1997 in the object record.
 See note 1.
- Previous Owner(s)
Nasli and Alice Heeramaneck
Though small in size, the shrine is an elaborately detailed architectonic form. Traces of gilding cover the otherwise dark bronze-colored surface. An inlaid inscription is present on the back of the shrine; the inlay is silver. The back plate and the rest of the shrine are composed of brass. The shrine proper contains a significant amount of lead whereas the back has only a very minor amount.
A silver inlaid inscription along the two sides of the rear inform us that the shrine was commissioned in the year 1333 by merchant Muladeva of the renowned Gurjara family.
This Jain altarpiece is a rare example that features the "presence" of a jina (victor) by suggesting his absence from this world of karma; his form is carved out of the copper sheet that forms the backdrop for this shrine, leaving behind an empty silhouette. Such images were created only by followers of the Digambara Jain tradition of the sky-clad (unclothed) monks, as opposed to the Shvetambara, or white-clad sect. The images are known as siddha-pratima yantra, or "magical diagram depicting a perfected being."
The shrine itself, a replica of a pillared niche, is elaborately carved. Substantial traces of the gilding that once covered it are visible, while a silver inlaid inscription informs us that the shrine was commissioned in 1333 by the merchant Muladeva of the renowned Gurjara family.
- Collection Area(s)
- South Asian and Himalayan Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum