From at least 1957
Carl Kempe (1884-1967), Ekolsund, Sweden, from at least 1957 
Eskenazi Ltd., London, purchased from the Kempe family 
James Freeman, Kyoto, purchased from Eskenazi Ltd., London
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from James Freeman in 1997
 See B. Gyllensvard, T'ang Gold and Silver, Bulletin of the Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities 29, 2 (Stockholm: 1957), p. 63, fig. 70.
 Information provided by Philip Constantinidi, Eskenazi Ltd. in email correspondence, March 21, 2013.
- Previous Owner(s)
Carl Kempe 1884 - 1967
Made in Central Asia in the region of Samarkand, this decorated silver bowl is an excellent example of the school of metalwork fashioned in this cosmopolitan area on the Silk Route linking Europe and China. In the seventh and eighth century, this regionknown as Sogdiaproduced luxury metalwork that drew on artistic styles of Sasanian Iran, to the west, and Tang China, to the east.
- Published References
- Thomas Lawton Thomas W. Lentz. Beyond the Legacy: Anniversary Acquisitions for the Freer Gallery of Art and the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery. vol. 1 Washington, 1998. pp. 128-129.
- Bo Gyllensvard The Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities. T'ang Gold and Silver. no. 29 Stockholm. fig. 70.
- Boris I. Marshak. Sogdiiskoe serebro: Ocherki po vostochnoi torevtike. Kul'tura Narodov Vostoka Moscow. pl. 31.
- Amy Heller. The Silver Jug of the Lhasa Jokhang: Some Observations on Silver Objects and Costumes from the Tibetan Empire (7th-9th Century). p. 215.
- Lin Meicun. Guyuan Sute mu suo chu zhonggu Posiwen yinzhang ji qi xiangguan wenti (The seal with an ancient Persian inscription from a Sogdian grave at Guyuan and related questions). no. 1 Xi'an Shi. cat. 1, pp. 50-54.
- James C.Y. Watt. China: Dawn of a Golden Age, 200-750 AD. Exh. cat. New York and New Haven. fig. 44.
- Boris I. Marshak. Silberschatze des Orients: Metallkunst des 3-13 Jahrhunderts und ihre Kontinuitat. Leipzig. fig. 69.
- James T. Ulak. A Decade of Remarkable Growth: Acquisitions by the Freer and Sackler Galleries. vol. 166 no. 548 London, 2007. p. 42.
- Boris I. Marshak. A Sogdian Silver Bowl in the Freer Galery of Art. No. 29, 1999. pp. 101-110.
- Collection Area(s)
- Ancient Near Eastern Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum