From at least 1940 to 1942
C. T. Loo & Co., New York, from at least October 1940 
From 1942 to 1951
Eduard von der Heydt (1882-1964), Ascona, Switzerland, purchased from C. T. Loo on August 27, 1942 and lent to the Buffalo Museum of Science, Buffalo, New York 
US Government vested Eduard von der Heydt's property under the provisions of "Trading with the Enemy Act" by vesting order, dated August 21, 1951 
From 1964 to 1973
National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, from March 1964 
Freer Gallery of Art, transferred from National Museum of Natural History in 1973 
 See C. T. Loo's stockcard no. 86945: "Jade knife. Decayed chicken bone jade knife, symbol of power with incised designs of lines. Shang," Frank Caro Archive, Institute of Fine Arts, New York University, copy in object file. According to an annotation on the stockcard, the jade was acquired for Loo by Mr. Chow in October 1940.
 See Loo's stockcard cited in note 1. The jade was sent to Buffalo Museum of Science on July 30, 1942. See also "Catalogue of the Von der Heydt Loan to the Buffalo Museum of Science: Loan Material from Baron Von der Heydt, as of March 1949," where the jade is documented under an inventory card no. 42136, copy in object file. According to the inventory card, the jade was acquired from Loo on September 14, 1942.
 See Vesting Order No. 18344, August 21, 1951, Office of Alien Property, Department of Justice. Eduard von der Heydt exhausted all the legal remedies against the forfeiture of his property provided to him by the Trading with the Enemy Act.
 Attorney General, Robert Kennedy authorized transfer of the von der Heydt collection from Buffalo Museum of Science to the custody of the Smithsonian Institution in March 1964. The collection was transferred to the National Museum of Natural History. In 1966 US Congress legislated transferring the title of the von der Heydt collection to the Smithsonian Institution, see Public Law 89-503, 80 Stat. 287, July 18, 1966. The jade was accessioned under no. 448078, see "Smithsonian Office of Anthropology Accession Data," copy in object file.
 The jade was among 13 objects in the von der Heydt collection transferred from National Museum of Natural History to the Freer Gallery of Art, see "Smithsonian Institution Intramural Transfer of Specimens" memorandum, dated January 29, 1973, copy in object file. The jade was accessioned to the Freer Gallery Study Collection under no. FSC-S-8 and subsequently transferred to the permanent collection in August 1978.
- Previous Owner(s)
National Museum of Natural History, Department of Anthropology, Smithsonian Institution
C.T. Loo & Company active 1908-1950
Baron Eduard von der Heydt 1882-1964
- Published References
- Julia Murray. A Decade of Discovery: Selected Acquisitions 1970-1980. Exh. cat. Washington, 1979. cat. 4, p. 14.
- Otto Kümmel. Chinesische Kunst. vol. XVIII. .
- An Exhibition of Chinese Art. Exh. cat. New York, November 1, 1941-April 20, 1942. cat. 234.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum