- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Mrs. Kirkor Minassian
Noah, his head surrounded by a flaming halo, sits at the center of this painting. A popular figure in the Qur'an, Noah (in Arabic, Nuh) also figures in poetic texts such as the Diwan (Collected Poems) by Hafiz.
Miskin, one of the greatest painters in the workshop of the Mughal emperor Akbar (r. 1556-1605) is thought to have painted this page. An expert draftsman and colorist, Miskin was best known for his skilled and whimsical depictions of animals and birds.
- Published References
- Milo Cleveland Beach. The Imperial Image: Paintings for the Mughal Court. Exh. cat. Washington, 1981. cat. 13, pp. 60,121,123-4, fig. 4.
- Mario Bussagli. Indian Miniatures. London and New York. p. 47, pl. 18.
- Howard Hollis and Company The Cleveland Museum of Art. Islamic Art: Selected Examples from the Loan Exhibiton of Islamic Art at the Cleveland Museum of Art. Exh. cat. Cleveland. p. 24.
- Emilie Savage-Smith. Magic and Divination in Early Islam. The Formation of the Classical Islamic World, vol. 42 Aldershot, Hunts, England and Burlington, VT. p. 367.
- Katharine Gibson. More Pictures to Grow Up With. New York and London. p. 59.
- Shanti Swarup. Flora and Fauna in Mughal Art. Bombay. ill. 33.
- Stuart Cary Welch. MIniatures from a Manuscript of the Diwan-i-Hafiz. vol. 11, no. 3 Bombay, June 1958. p. 57, fig. 2.
- Hossam Elkhadem, Ahmed Medhoune, Nathalie Levy. A la Découverte de l'Âge d'Or des Sciences Arabes: Catalogue de l'Exposition Itinérante. Exh. cat. Bruxelles. p. 42.
- Milo Cleveland Beach. The Imperial Image: Paintings for the Mughal Court., 2nd. Washington and Ahmedabad, India, 2012. cat. 17, p. 98.
- Masters of Indian Painting. Exh. cat. Zurich. pp. 167-186, fig. 11.
- Anand Amaladass Gudrun Loewner. Christian Themes in Indian Art. India. p. 48.
- Lincoln Paine. The Sea and Civilization: A Maritime History of the World. New York. .
- Barbara Schmitz. The Imperial Image: Paintings for the Mughal Court. vol. 28, no. 1, Spring 1982. fig. 4.
- Collection Area(s)
- South Asian and Himalayan Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum