- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Detached folio from a dispersed copy of Nuzhatnama-yi ala'i (Excellent book of counsel) by Shahmardan ibn Abi al-Khayr; text: Persian in black and red naskhi script; recto: illustration and text: cock pheasant,16 lines; verso: illustration and text: duck, their habitat and mating rituals;16 lines; one of a group of three folios.
Composed in Persian in the second half of the eleventh century, the Nuzhatnama-yi ala'i (Excellent book of counsel), includes a bestiary as well as discussion of trees, plants, and minerals. The present folio is devoted to a description of ducks, their attributes, habitat, and mating ritual. The small illustration inserted into the text is characteristic of the schematic yet lively imagery found in this genre of popular medieval literature.
- Published References
- Edgar Blochet. Catalogue of an Exhibition of Persian Paintings...held at the Gallery Demotte Inc. Exh. cat. New York. cat. 46, pp. 6, 20.
- Smithsonian Institution. Report of the Secretary, 1946-1947. Washington. pl. 1.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum