From at least 1939 to 1947
C.T. Loo & Company, New York, from at least January 10, 1939 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from C.T. Loo & Company on May 7, 1947 
 The object was lent by C. T. Loo to the Arden Gallery in 1939; see 3000 Years of Chinese Jade, exh. cat. (New York: Arden Gallery, January 10 - February 11, 1939), cat. 184 (ill.). See also C. T. Loo's stockcard no. 80121: "Jade deep cylindrical tripod cup with one handle and a cover surmounted by three small curled animals on a geometrical pattern. The cup is decorated with two dragons and a t'ao t'ieh mask handle on a geometrical pattern. HAN," Frank Caro Archive, Institute of Fine Arts, New York University, copy in object file. In June 1944, the cup was brought to the Freer Gallery for examination.
 See C. T. Loo's invoice, dated May 7, 1947, copy in object file.
- Previous Owner(s)
C.T. Loo & Company active 1908-1950
- Published References
- Dr. John Alexander Pope, Thomas Lawton, Harold P. Stern. The Freer Gallery of Art. 2 vols., Washington and Tokyo, 1971-1972. cat. 20, p. 155.
- Masterpieces of Chinese and Japanese Art: Freer Gallery of Art handbook. Washington, 1976. p. 33.
- Alfred Salmony. 3000 Years of Chinese Jade. Exh. cat. New York, January 10 - February 1, 1939. cat. 184, p. 78.
- Hai wai i chen (Chinese Art in Overseas Collections). Taipei, 1985. p. 64.
- Na Chih-liang. Yu ch'i t'ung shih (A General Study of Chinese Jade). Hong Kong, 1965. p. 19, fig. 23.
- Na Chih-liang. Yu ch'i tz'u t'ien (Dictionary of Chinese Jade). Taipei, 1982. vol. 2, p. 327.
- Archaic Chinese Jades (Introduction by Horace Jaynes). Exh. cat. Philadelphia, PA, February 1940. p. 58.
- Smithsonian Institution. Report of the Secretary, 1946-1947. Washington. pl. 1.
- Sueji Umehara. Shina kogyoku zuroku (Selected Specimens of Chinese Archaic Jade). Kyoto, 1955. pl. 61.
- Sueji Umehara. Jade Vessels of the Warring States Period. no. 18 Osaka, January 1956. pl. XIII A.
- William Watson. China Before the Han Dynasty. Ancient Peoples and Places, vol. 23 New York. pl. 63.
- Geoffrey WIlls. Jade of the East., 1st ed. New York, 1972. fig. 47.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum