From 1941 to 1946
C.T. Loo & Company, New York, from April 1941 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from C.T. Loo & Company on October 31, 1946 
 See C. T. Loo's stockcard no. 87095: "Bronze tripod CHOU / Large vessel Ting with two upright handles and on three straight legs. Decorated under the rim by a band of t'ao tieh mask on a spiral ground. On the body a band of triangles with cicadas in relief. Legs ornated with stylized cicadas. Green patina. Inscribed. Shang," Frank Caro Archive, Institute of Fine Arts, New York University, copy in object file. The object was offered to two American collectors, first to "Mr. Booth" and then to Alfred F. Pillsbury in 1941, but was subsequently returned to Loo. In 1943 the vessel was brought to the Freer Gallery and was returned to Loo after two months. On January 30, 1945, the vessel was sent again to the Freer Gallery.
 See C. T. Loo's invoice, dated October 31, 1946, copy in object file.
- Previous Owner(s)
C.T. Loo & Company active 1908-1950
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum