H. Kahn Monif (died 1968), Persian Antique Gallery, New York, NY, to 1945 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from H. Kahn Monif in 1945
 Undated folder sheet note. For additional information, see Freer Gallery of Art Purchase List after 1920, Collections Management Office.
- Previous Owner(s)
H. Kahn Monif died 1968
Detached folio from a dispersed copy of the Shahnama (Book of kings) by Firdawsi; text: Persian in black naskhi script; recto: text: Manija takes Bijan to her chamber in Afrasiyab’s palace, Afrasiyab learns of Bijan's presence, 6 columns, 29 lines; verso: illustration and text: Piran stays the execution of Bijan at the very foot of the gibbet, 6 columns, 19 lines; one of a group of 6 folios.
Border: The text and the painting are set in red, green, gold, and blue rulings on cream-colored paper.
- Published References
- Dr. Esin Atil. Exhibition of 2500 Years of Persian Art. Exh. cat. Washington, 1971. cat. 12, pp. 4-5.
- Marianna Shreve Simpson. The Illustration of an Epic: The Earliest Shahnama Manuscripts. Outstanding Dissertations in the Fine Arts New York and London. pp. 108, 280, 294, 296, 305, fig. 18.
- Abolqasem Ferdowsi. The Shahnameh: The Persian Book of Kings. New York. pp. 311-318.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum