- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Alexander G. Mosle
Although both the exterior and interior scenes suggest autumn, their moods contrast. The suggestion of evening solitude on the exterior gives way to the luxuriant brilliance of chrysanthemums in full bloom when the box is opened. The outer lid is decorated with a pair of cranes facing each other on a sloping water bank.
- Published References
- Linda Merrill. The Peacock Room: A Cultural Biography. Washington and New Haven. pp. 182, 239, fig. 4.34, 6.4.
- Ann Yonemura. Japanese Lacquer. Washington, 1979. cat. 20, p. 42.
- Alexander G. Mosle. The Mosle Collection: Descriptive Catalogue... Leipzig. cat. 1698, p. 39.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum