- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Hagop Kevorkian 1872 - 1962
This eighteenth-century Armenian leather binding that encloses a mid-thirteenth-century Gospel is decorated with silver studs, now tarnished, in the form of a cross in the upper center. A pair of small silver plaques in the shape of the "evil eye" are set on either side. The crystal, with its cruciform grooves in the center, is particularly notable; it may have held a relic at one time, underscoring the power and importance attached to Gospel books in Armenian culture.
- Published References
- Sirarpie Der Nersessian. Armenian Manuscripts in the Freer Gallery of Art. Oriental Studies Series, no. 6 Washington, 1963. pp. 18-25, pls. 17-27.
- Souvenir Program Booklet: 45th Annual Convention, Washington, D.C. Washington. pp. 9, 28-9,31-2.
- Eva Baer. Sphinxes and Harpies in Medieval Islamic Art: An Iconographical Study. Oriental Notes and Studies, no. 9 Jerusalem. pl.34, fig. 6.
- Archaeological Chemistry III. Advances in Chemistry Series, no. 205 Washington, 1984. pp. 243-254.
- Diane Cabelli Thomas F. Mathews. The Palette of Chatchatur of Khizan. no. 40. pp. 37-40.
- Helen Carney Evans. Manuscript Illumination at the Armenian Patriarchate in Hromka and the West. Ann Arbor. pp. 52-3,78-88.
- Medieval Armenian Culture. University of Pennsylvania Armenian Texts and Studies, no. 6 Chico, CA. pp. 284, 273, fig. 6.
- Avedis Krikor Sajian. Catalogue of Medieval Armenian Manuscripts in the United States. University of California Publications, Near Eastern Studies; vol. 16 Berkeley. pp. 717-728.
- Laura Schnieder. Freer Canteen. vol. 9 Washington and Ann Arbor. pp. 137-156, pl. 5, fig. 14.
- Collection Area(s)
- Biblical Manuscripts
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum