From 1939 to 1941
C.T. Loo & Company, New York from at least March 1939 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from C.T. Loo & Company on September 29, 1941 
 See C. T. Loo's stockcard no. 81926a: "Bell (chung) Bottom decorated by a panel of turning dragons pattern. Large bosses formed by coiled snakes separated by registers of intertwined dragons motives. Handle formed by 2 birds, swallowing the tail with spreaded wings over an intertwined snakes pattern. Rough green patina. Late Chou," Frank Caro Archive, Institute of Fine Arts, New York University, copy in object file. The object was sent to the Freer Gallery for examination on May 2, 1939.
 See C. T. Loo's invoice, dated September 29, 1941, copy in object file.
- Previous Owner(s)
C.T. Loo & Company active 1908-1950
The elaborate décor of this bell--winged creatures form its suspension loop and coiled serpents serve as bosses (raised decorations)--underscores the exalted status of bronze bells, which were a luxury restricted to China's early rulers and elite. Most bells belonged to tuned sets of bell-chimes, an instrument invented in China. They were suspended from a rack and struck by a mallet. When this object was cast, bell music was no longer purely ritual in purpose but was also considered entertainment in feudal courts. Owning a set of bells was thought to bring great happiness to a family.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum