Reportedly excavated in Anyang, Henan province, China 
From at least 1940 to 1941
C.T. Loo & Company, New York from at least November 12, 1940 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from C.T. Loo & Company on March 20, 1941 
 According to information provided by C. T. Loo to John E. Lodge, see John E. Lodge's curatorial remark, dated 1941, in object file.
 See "List of objects owned by C. T. Loo, New York […] at the Freer Gallery," with an annotation that the object was left by Loo on November 12, 1940, copy in object file.
 See C. T. Loo's invoice, dated March 20, 1941, where the object is described as "Knife jade (ko) greenish patina with splashes. Anyang Shang," copy in object file.
- Previous Owner(s)
C.T. Loo & Company active 1908-1950
The blade known as ge, based on the shape of the metal dagger-axe, is first found at the early Shang site of Erlitou, Henan. A ge consists of a long blade beveled to a sharp edge on the sides, usually with a median crest; a projecting crosspiece with a perforation at the base of the blade; and a narrower butt, or tang, which may be plain or ribbed. Ge blades display great variations in size, from miniature to enormous. This variety of size is understandable in view of the fact that the jade blades were intended only for ceremonial and symbolic purposes, rather than for practical use. Small ge blades are occasionally mounted in bronze handles, usually adorned with inlaid turquoise. Some blades have a finely incised linear pattern at the back and just in front of the perforation.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum