Reportedly excavated in Anyang, Henan province, China 
From at least 1939 to 1940
C.T. Loo & Company, New York from at least November 4, 1939 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from C.T. Loo & Company on February 21, 1940 
 Information provided by C. T. Loo, see John E. Lodge's curatorial remark, dated 1941, in object file.
 See "List of objects owned by C. T. Loo & Co., New York and [left] at the Gallery for examination," with an annotation that the piece was delivered by Loo on November 4, 1939, copy in object file.
 See C. T. Loo's invoice, dated February 21, 1940, copy in object file.
- Previous Owner(s)
C.T. Loo & Company active 1908-1950
- Published References
- Masterpieces of Chinese and Japanese Art: Freer Gallery of Art handbook. Washington, 1976. p. 29.
- Grace Dunham Guest A.G. Wenley. Annotated Outlines of the History of Chinese Arts. Washington, 1949. p. 6.
- Dagny Carter. Four Thousand Years of China's Art. New York. p. 35 a, b.
- Cheng Te-k'un. Archaeology in China. 3 vols., Cambridge, England. pl. 13b.
- Mizuno Seiichi. In Shu seidoki to tama (alt. spelling: In-sho seidoki to gyoku) (Bronzes and Jades of Ancient China). Tokyo. pl. 77a.
- Na Chih-liang. Yu ch'i t'ung shih (A General Study of Chinese Jade). Hong Kong, 1965. p. 63, fig. 81.
- Richard Ettinghausen Ernst Kuhnel. A Survey of Persian Art from Prehistoric Times to the Present. 6 vols., London and New York, 1938 - 1939. .
- Osvald Siren. Kinas Konst Under Tre Artusenden. 2 vols., Stockholm, 1942-1943. pl. 17.
- Sueji Umehara. In-kyo (Yin hsu: Ancient Capital of the Shang Dynasty at An-yang). Tokyo. pl. 141 (1).
- Sueji Umehara. Shina kogyoku zuroku (Selected Specimens of Chinese Archaic Jade). Kyoto, 1955. pl. 87.
- Sueji Umehara. Kanan Anyo ibutsu no kenkyu (Study of Relics from Anyang). Kyoto. pl. 24.
- Chung-kuo tiao su shih t'u lu. Chung-kuo mei shu shih t'u lu ts'ung shu Shanghai. p. 40.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum