Wu collection, Tianjin 
From at least 1937 to 1939
C.T. Loo & Company, Paris and New York from at least March 1937 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from C.T. Loo & Company on November 30, 1939 
 According to information in C. T. Loo's Approval memorandum, dated November 6, 1939, in object file.
 See C. T. Loo's stockcard no. LAP 5655: "Brownish jade in the form of a thin pillar, head etched in center. Han," Frank Caro Archive, Institute of Fine Arts, New York University, copy in object file. According to information on the stockcard, the object was shipped to Paris in March 1937 and returned to New York in November 1938; in September 1939 it was offered to Mr. McKim; on November 6, 1939 it was shipped to the Freer Gallery.
 See C. T. Loo's invoice, dated November 30, 1939, copy in object file.
- Previous Owner(s)
C.T. Loo & Company active 1908-1950
An ornament of reddish nephrite shading to gray green; somewhat translucent; one surface decorated with low relief mostly linear; four holes for attachment.
Exceptional workmanship defines this human face wearing a twisted rope or fabric headband. His long hair ends in upturned curls, and circular earrings hang from his ears. Four sets of tiny drilled holes presumably were used to fasten this ornament to fabric. Creating those holes required precise control and tiny drill points, a noteworthy achievement of the Shijiahe culture.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum