C.T. Loo & Company, New York from May 24, 1939 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from C.T. Loo & Company on November 30, 1939 
 See C. T. Loo's stockcard no. 86423: "Mirror. Decorated on the edge with a flat register of birds, animals and flower motives. In the center low registers in low relief of human figures, animals and pagodas, toward the border a narrow register of characters with Taoist inscriptions. Diam 6 ¾. Han," Frank Caro Archive, Institute of Fine Arts, New York University, copy in object file. The mirror was shipped to the Freer Gallery in November 1939, see Loo's Approval Memo, dated November 6, 1939, copy in object file.
 See C. T. Loo's invoice, dated November 30, 1939, copy in object file.
- Previous Owner(s)
C.T. Loo & Company active 1908-1950
- Published References
- compiled by the staff of the Freer Gallery of Art. A Descriptive and Illustrative Catalogue of Chinese Bronzes: Acquired During the Administration of John Ellerton Lodge. Oriental Studies Series, no. 3 Washington, 1946. p. 78, pl. 40.
- Chugoku bijutsu (Chinese Art in Western Collections). 5 vols., Tokyo, 1972-1973. fig. 82.
- Jan Fontein Rose Hempel. China, Korea, Japan. Propylaen Kunsgeschichte Berlin. pl. 38.
- Higuchi Takayasu. Kokyo. 2 vols., Tokyo. p. 179, fig. 81.
- Michele Pirazzoli-t'Serstevens. The Han Dynasty. New York. p. 183.
- Florance Waterbury. Bird-Deities in China. Supplementum 10 Ascona, Switzerland. pl. 52.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum