- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Hagop Kevorkian 1872 - 1962
Detached album folio; text: Persian in black nasta'liq script; Fettered camel and the keeper, inscriptions; reverse: calligraphy panel, signed by Sultan Muhammad Khandan and Baba Muzahhab.
Border: The painting is set in gold and black rulings on beige-colored paper; the calligraphy panel is set in gold and green rulings in an illuminated outer frame with a narrow red frame on one side, on a cream-colored paper.
Top page, sawwarahu Bihzad, kar-i a'la-yi Ustad Bihzad
"depicted by Bihzad, outstanding work of Master Bihzad."
Reverse: . . . fath u zafar u dawlat u iqbal zi dahr / bada ba murad-i dil hama hasil-i tu" al-'abd Sultan Muhammad Khandan, harrarahu Baba al-Mudhahhib.
". . . conquest, victory, good fortune and success from the world--may all these come to you as your heart's desire. The slave Sultan-Muhammad Khandan, outlined by Baba the Gilder."
- Published References
- Amy Briggs. Timurid Carpets: I. Geometric Carpets. vol. 7, no. 1 Ann Arbor. cat. 53, p. 53.
- Lawrence Binyon, J.V.S. Wilkinson, Basil Gray. Persian Miniature Painting: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Miniatures Exhibited at Burlington House, January-March 1931. Exh. cat. Oxford, January - March 1931. p. 100.
- The Home Forum. Boston, November 3, 1938. p. 9.
- Richard Ettinghausen Ernst Kuhnel. A Survey of Persian Art from Prehistoric Times to the Present. 6 vols., London and New York, 1938 - 1939. p. 1864.
- Armenag Sakisian. La Miniature Persane du XIIe au XVIIe siecle: Ouvrage accompagne de la reproduction de 193 miniatures dont deux en couleurs. Paris and Brussels. p. 68f, pl. 49, fig. 84.
- Stewart Desmond in association with the editors of Time-Life Books. Early Islam. Great Ages of Man New York. p. 178.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum