Dikran G. Kelekian (1868-1951), Cairo, Egypt, Paris, France, and New York to 1936 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from Dikran G. Kelekian, New York in 1936 
 Undated folder sheet note. See Freer Gallery or Art Purchase List after 1920, Collections Management Office.
 See note 1.
- Previous Owner(s)
Dikran Garabed Kelekian 1868 - 1951
This stone relief panel originally served as the lunette for a pair of tall, narrow windows in a secular building. The cusped window openings at the lower edge of the lunetter are surmounted by a pair of seated lions. Another striding lion marks the center of the lunette's outer band, in which an antelope and winged griffin are depicted to the left and a winged sphinx and stag to the right.
The lunette belongs to a group of related architectural elements found in the town of Kubatcha in the Russian region of Dagestan on the western shore of the Caspian Sea. The dating of these pieces is based on the style of their animal and floral decoration.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum