- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Hagop Kevorkian 1872 - 1962
Detached folio from a bound copy of Mihr-u Mushtari (The Sun and Jupiter) by Shams al-Din Muhammad Assar; text: Persian in black nasta'liq script; recto: illustration and text: Mihr takes down a lion's head at a single blow; verso: text: Mihr fighting with bandits, 2 columns, 12 lines; one of a group of 6: the manuscript (F1932.3) and 5 detached folios are accessioned separately.
Border: The painting and the text are set in gold and blue rulings on cream-colored paper.
- Published References
- Dr. Esin Atil. Exhibition of 2500 Years of Persian Art. Exh. cat. Washington, 1971. cat.28, p. 10.
- Milo Cleveland Beach Glenn D. Lowry. Early Mughal Painting. The Polsky Lectures in London and Southeast Asian Art and Archeology London and Cambridge, MA. pp. 37-8, fig. 23.
- Lawrence Binyon, J.V.S. Wilkinson, Basil Gray. Persian Miniature Painting: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Miniatures Exhibited at Burlington House, January-March 1931. Exh. cat. Oxford, January - March 1931. p. 123, no. 106b, pl. LXXIX.
- Sheila Blair Jonathan M. Bloom. The Art and Architecture of Islam, 1250-1800. Yale University Press Pelican History of Art London. p. 208, fig. 264.
- Oleg Akimushkin Priscilla P. Soucek. The Arts of the Book in Central Asia: 14th - 16th Centuries. London and Paris. pp. 252, 262-263, pl. 61.
- Basil Gray. Persian Painting. Treasures of Asia Geneva. p. 149.
- Glenn D. Lowry, Milo Cleveland Beach, Elisabeth West FitzHugh, Susan Nemanzee, Janet Snyder. An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. p. 338.
- Gore Ouseley James Reynolds. Biographical Notices of Persian Poets, With Critical and Explanatory Remarks. Oriental Translation Fund (Series) ; v. 61 London. p. 202.
- Richard Ettinghausen Ernst Kuhnel. A Survey of Persian Art from Prehistoric Times to the Present. 6 vols., London and New York, 1938 - 1939. vol. 3, p. 1871.
- Philipp Walter Schulz. Die Persisch-Islamische Miniaturmalerei: Ein Beitrag zur Kunstgeschichte Irans. 2 vols, Leipzig. pl. 80.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum