Parish-Watson Company, New York 1927 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from Parish-Watson Company, New York in 1927 
 Object file, undated folder sheet note. Also see Freer Gallery of Art Purchase List file, Collections Management Office.
 See note 1.
- Previous Owner(s)
This eight-lobed bowl harmoniously combines figural, abstract, and calligraphic designs and is typical of some of the finest medieval Persian ceramics. The bowl is decorated with enamel paint, and a princely figure on a large and powerful elephant dominates the center. A band of kufic inscription offering blessings and good wishes surrounds him. The exterior inscription celebrates the qualities of a certain Abu Nasr Kirmanshah, the patron of this finely decorated bowl.
- Published References
- Dr. Esin Atil. Ceramics from the World of Islam. Exh. cat. Washington, 1973. cat. 39, p. 90-91.
- Randall L. Pouwels. African and Middle Eastern World, 600-1500. The Medieval and Early Modern World New York. p. 62.
- Eleanor Sims, Boris I. Marshak, Ernst Grube. Peerless Images: Persian Painting and its Sources. New Haven and London. p. 290.
- Oriental Ceramics (Toyo Toji Taikan): The World's Great Collections. 12 vols., Tokyo. pl. 283.
- Richard Ettinghausen Ernst Kuhnel. A Survey of Persian Art from Prehistoric Times to the Present. 6 vols., London and New York, 1938 - 1939. vol. 1: p. 892; vol. 2: pp. 1564-65; vol. 3: p. 2359, vol. 5, pl. 663a.
- Richard Ettinghausen. Medieval Near Eastern Ceramics in the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and Baltimore. p. 33.
- Masterpieces of Western and Near Eastern Ceramics. 8 vols., Tokyo and New York. pl. 46.
- Islamic Art and Patronage: Treasures from Kuwait. Exh. cat. New York. p. 107, fig. 16.
- Marianna Shreve Simpson. The Illustration of an Epic: The Earliest Shahnama Manuscripts. Outstanding Dissertations in the Fine Arts New York and London. p. 268.
- , Eva Baer, David Nicolle, Barbara Schmitz, Oliver Watson. The Art of the Saljuqs in Iran and Anatolia. Costa Mesa, CA. fig. 136.
- Mehmet Aga-Oglu. A Minai Bowl of the Late Tenth Century. vol. 62, no. 362 London, May 1933. p. 208.
- Grace Dunham Guest. Letter: A Minai Bowl of the Late 10th Century. vol. 63, no. 369 London, December 1933. p. 291.
- Gaston Wiet. Un Bol en Faience du XIIe Siecle. vol. 1, no. 1 Ann Arbor. pp. 118-120.
- Freer Gallery of Art. Gallery Book III: Exhibition of September 5, 1933. Washington, September 5, 1933. .
- Unknown title. Boston, September 26, 1938. p. 8.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum