K.T. Wong, Shanghai to 1919 
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from K.T. Wong in 1919 
The Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Kakemono and Makimono List, L. 1310, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. This object exhibits seals, colophons, or inscriptions that could provide additional information regarding the object’s history. See Curatorial Remarks in the object record for further details.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
1. Purchased from K.T. Wong of Shanghai. For price, see L. 1310, original Kakemono and Makimono List.
2. (Undated folder sheet note) Original attribution: Wang Shen. Sung. See further, S.I. 692, Appendix IX and Envelope File (See par. 5 following)
3. (Ma Su, 1917) Label reads: Yuan An dozing while it snows--by Wang Tsin--Ching. (Sung.) The first of the two seals on lower left--the top one--belongs to Hsu Chin Chuan, the other is a studio seal; likewise the one in lower right corner a studio name. Painter's name and title of painting shown in Chinese characters in the original manuscript. Note: Yuan An, an official of the Eastern Han period. There was a heavy snow in Lo Yang. Many people had to beg for food. He remained in a boat dozing, rather than submitting to the disgrace of begging.
4. (J.E.Lodge, 1921) A Sung design and possibly his work--though I should not have thought it as early.
5. (H.E. Buckman, 1963) The Envelope file contained no further information, and has now been destroyed.
6. (J.F. Cahill, 1965) The attribution should be changed from: "Sung (?), Wang Shen, attributed to (?)," to: "Ming, 16th century." This is by a minor painter in the later phase of the Che School, in the same mannerist tendency toward nervous brushwork as Chu Tuan.
7. (Stephen D. Allee, 24 September 2008) As per Fu Shen and Jan Stuart, entry draft for Zhe School Project (1987-92): added Artist (Formerly attributed to Wang Shen), changed Title from "Winter Landscape" to "Boating on a Snowy River".
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum