Siegfried Bing [1838-1905] and/or Marcel Bing [1875-1920], Paris 
Lai-Yuan and Company, New York to 1915 
From 1915 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Lai-Yuan and Company in 1915 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 According to Curatorial Remark 1 in the object record, which cites a folder sheet note, as well as Curatorial Remark 4 in the object record, which cites the object description in S.I. Appendix VII, S.I. 670, in the Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. Also, according to Curatorial Remark 11, Jenny Liu, July 28, 2006, in the object record, this object is recorded on a C.T. Loo inventory, and a corresponding inventory note by C.T. Loo might provide further information about the object's history. See the object file for F1961.331-b, which contains the C.T. Loo inventory note addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Meyer, dated December 10, 1915.
 See Original Bronze List, S.I. 670, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 2.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Lai-Yuan and Company (C.L. Freer source)
Siegfried Bing 1838 - 1905
Marcel Bing 1875 - 1920
- Published References
- Sigisbert Chrétien Bosch Reitz. Catalogue of an Exhibition of Early Chinese Pottery and Sculpture. Exh. cat. New York. fig. 342.
- Sueji Umehara. Shina kodo seikwa (Selected Relics of Ancient Chinese Bronzes from Collections in Europe and Asia). 3 vols., Osaka. pl. 115.
- Dr. John Alexander Pope, Mr. R.J. Gettens, James Cahill, Noel Barnard. The Freer Chinese Bronzes. Oriental Studies Series, vol. 1, no. 7 Washington. cat. 70, p. 389.
- Chen Mengjia. Yin Zhou qing tong qi fen lei tu lu (Yin-Chou ch'ing t'ung ch'i fen lei t'u lu). 2 vols., Dongjing. A 195.
- Sueji Umehara. Amerika no hakubutsukan ni okeru Shina no kobijutsu (Ancient Chinese Art in North American Museums). no. 16/17, June 1930. p. 37, pl. 5C.
- Shang Chou chin wen shi ch'eng. multi-vol., Taipei. no. 2469.
- Chin wen tsung chi. Taipei. p. 1191.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum