Dowdeswell's, London, 1884 
H. Wunderlich & Co., New York, NY, 1889 
M. Knoedler & Co., New York, NY, to 1914 
From 1914 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from M. Knoedler & Co., New York, NY, in January 1914 
The Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 Object file, Exhibition history.
 See note 1.
 Undated folder sheet note. See Original Whistler List, Purchases since making up the Smithsonian Inventory, p. 15, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 3.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
H. Wunderlich & Co. (C.L. Freer source)
M. Knoedler & Co. (C.L. Freer source)
Dowdeswell and Dowdeswell 1878 - 1912
Like most or all of the St. Ives oils, Grey and Silver Mist-Life Boat is painted over a light gray ground, areas of which are visible at the far right edge. Probably working from the top down, Whistler used bands of three darker grays to establish the sky, mist, sea, and shore. The swirl of darker gray paint at the lower right evokes the rolling of waves, even as it reminds the viewer of the painter who has contrived the image. The thin orange lines decorating the gunnels of the blue boat emphasize by contrast the cold grayness of the beautiful but bleak scene.
- Published References
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 139, pl. 43.
- Kenneth Myers. Mr. Whistler's Gallery: Pictures at an 1884 Exhibition. Washington. cat. 11, p. 37.
- Anna Gruetzner. A Fragile Modernism: Whistler and His Impressionist Followers. New Haven and London, 2007. .
- Andrew McLaren Young, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer. The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler. Studies in British Art 2 vols. New Haven, 1980. pl. 162.
- Donald Holden. Whistler Landscapes and Seascapes. New York. p. 61, pl. 20.
- Henry Gilbert, Roy Ray, Colin Orchard. All About St. Ives: A Guide to the Town, its Galleries and Art History. p. 9.
- David Tovey Tate St. Ives. St. Ives Art pre-1890: The Dawn of the Colony. Exh. cat. Tewkesbury. p. 54.
- p. 34.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum