Loon Gu-sai, Beijing, to 1911 
From 1911 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Loon Gu-sai in 1911 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Reserved Makimono List, L. 734, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. This object was kept in the Reserved Section until 1921, when it was given a general registration number. According to Ingrid Larsen, "'Don’t Send Ming or Later Pictures': Charles Lang Freer and the First Major Collection of Chinese Painting in an American Museum," Ars Orientalis vol. 40 (2011), Loon Gu Sai was possibly Lunguzhai, a store in the antiques district of Liulichang.
This object exhibits seals, colophons, or inscriptions that could provide additional information regarding the object’s history; see Curatorial Remarks in the object record for further details.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Loon Gu Sai (C.L. Freer source)
- Published References
- Nakata Yujiro Fu Shen. O-bei shuzo Chugoku hosho meiseki shu (Masterpieces of Chinese Calligraphy in American and European Collections). 6 vols., Tokyo, 1981-1983. pl. 42.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum