Y. Fujita and Company, Kyoto, to 1911 
From 1911 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Y. Fujita and Company in 1911 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Pottery List, L. 2184, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Y. Fujita and Company (C.L. Freer source)
The Shigaraki kilns were known for storage jars made of unglazed reddish clay with a gritty texture. In the late sixteenth century Shigaraki potters began using this clay to make tea utensils. Ninsei's bowl for receiving water used to rinse tea bowls employs Shigaraki clay that was processed to remove the grit and make it easy to throw, then remixed with some stones to add texture. A splash of ash glaze evokes the natural deposits of melted ash on old Shigaraki storage jars.
- Published References
- Oriental Ceramics (Toyo Toji Taikan): The World's Great Collections. 12 vols., Tokyo. pl. 195.
- Louise Allison Cort. Clay as Content: The Significance of Shigaraki Clay in Japanese Ceramics. no. 3, December 2003. p. 40, fig. 2.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum