Pang Yuanji (1864-1949), Shanghai, China, to 1911 
From 1911 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Pang Yuanji, in China, in 1911 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Kakemono and Makimono List, L. 787, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. This object exhibits seals, colophons, or inscriptions that could provide additional information regarding the object’s history; see Curatorial Remarks in the object record for further details.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Pang Yuanji (C.L. Freer source) 1864-1949
- Published References
- Thomas Lawton Linda Merrill. Freer: a legacy of art. Washington and New York, 1993. p. 96-97, fig. 65.
- Thomas Lawton. Chinese Figure Painting. Exh. cat. Washington, 1973. cat. 10, p. 70-73.
- Dr. John Alexander Pope, Thomas Lawton, Harold P. Stern. The Freer Gallery of Art. 2 vols., Washington and Tokyo, 1971-1972. cat. 51, p. 163.
- Masterpieces of Chinese and Japanese Art: Freer Gallery of Art handbook. Washington, 1976. p. 54.
- Frederick William Gookin. Catalogue of a Loan Exhibition of Ancient Chinese Paintings, Sculptures and Jade Objects from the Collection formed by Charles Lang Freer, and Given by Him to the Nation through the Smithsonian Institution, Exhibition November 15 to December 8, 1917. Exh. cat. Chicago, November 15 - December 8, 1917. no. 7.
- Chia-Ching. Pi tien chu lin, Shih chu pao chi san pien. 10 vols., Taipei. p. 1353.
- Suzuki Kei. Chugoku kaiga sogo zuroku (Comprehensive Illustrated Catalog of Chinese Painting). 5 vols., Tokyo, 1982-1983. pp. 190-191.
- Thomas Lawton. China's Artistic Legacy. vol. 118, no. 258 London, August 1983. p. 130.
- Hai wai i chen (Chinese Art in Overseas Collections). Taipei, 1985. vol. 1, no. 4.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum