Loon Gu Sai, Beijing, to 1911 
From 1911 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Loon Gu Sai, Beijing, in 1911 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Album List, pg. 36, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. According to Ingrid Larsen, "'Don’t Send Ming or Later Pictures': Charles Lang Freer and the First Major Collection of Chinese Painting in an American Museum," Ars Orientalis vol. 40 (2011), Loon Gu Sai was possibly Lunguzhai, a store in the antiques district of Liulichang.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Loon Gu Sai (C.L. Freer source)
This painting, which observes archaic conventions in composition and coloration, shows mixed groups of people wandering through courtyards and pavilions, crossing bridges, and riding in pleasure craft on the waters of an expansive riverside estate.
- Published References
- Suzuki Kei. Chugoku kaiga sogo zuroku (Comprehensive Illustrated Catalog of Chinese Painting). 5 vols., Tokyo, 1982-1983. p. 233.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum