Loon Gu Sai, Beijing, to 1911 
From 1911 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Loon Gu Sai, Beijing, in 1911 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Album List, pg. 36, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. According to Ingrid Larsen, "'Don’t Send Ming or Later Pictures': Charles Lang Freer and the First Major Collection of Chinese Painting in an American Museum," Ars Orientalis vol. 40 (2011), Loon Gu Sai was possibly Lunguzhai, a store in the antiques district of Liulichang.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Loon Gu Sai (C.L. Freer source)
This painting is the product of an unknown court artist of the Southern Song dynasty (1127-1279). Beneath the summer trees, a few simply clad palace women and children stroll along the paved pathway beside a stone-lined pond. Their route leads through an elegant gazebo that may represent an actual structure in the imperial gardens of Hangzhou (in Zhejiang Province), the Southern Song capital.
To learn more about this and similar objects, visit http://www.asia.si.edu/SongYuan/default.asp Song and Yuan Dynasty Painting and Calligraphy.
- Published References
- James Cahill. Chinese Album Leaves in the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and Japan, 1961-1962. p. 24, pl. 8.
- Suzuki Kei. Chugoku kaiga sogo zuroku (Comprehensive Illustrated Catalog of Chinese Painting). 5 vols., Tokyo, 1982-1983. p. 233.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum