Count Tanaka, to 1909 
From 1909 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Count Tanaka through Samurai Shokai, Yokohama, in 1909 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Miscellaneous List, S.I. 171, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Count Tanaka (C.L. Freer source)
- Published References
- Dr. John Alexander Pope, Thomas Lawton, Harold P. Stern. The Freer Gallery of Art. 2 vols., Washington and Tokyo, 1971-1972. cat. 89, p. 179.
- Masterpieces of Chinese and Japanese Art: Freer Gallery of Art handbook. Washington, 1976. p. 87.
- Catalogue of the Inaugural Exhibition, June 6-September 20, 1916. Exh. cat. Cleveland, June 6 - September 20, 1916. p. 300, fig. 8.
- Walter Karp. The Smithsonian Institution: An Establishment for the Increase and Diffusion of Knowledge Among Men. Washington. p. 116.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum