Ali Arabi, Giza, Egypt, to 1909 
From 1909 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Ali Arabi in 1909 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Miscellaneous List, Biblical Mss. section, S.I. 1486-B, pg. 13, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Ali Arabi (C.L. Freer source)
Folio 1 from a Ms. of the Gospels:
Recto: a portrait of St. Mark. Color on a gold ground; much worn.
Verso: index of selections from the Gospel of Mark; 25 lines in red ink.
- Published References
- Seymour de Ricci W. J. Wilson. Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada. 3 vols., New York, 1935-1940. cat. 11, p. 468.
- Walter Dennison Charles Rufus Morey. Studies in East Christian and Roman Art. University of Michigan Humanistic Series, 12 New York. .
- Kenneth W. Clark. A Descriptive Catalogue of Greek New Testament Manuscripts in America. Chicago. pp. 208-209.
- Robert S. Nelson. The Iconography of Preface and Miniature in the Byzantine Gospel Book. Monographs on archaeology and fine arts, 36 New York. fig. 23.
- Collection Area(s)
- Ancient Near Eastern Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum