Ali Arabi, Giza, Egypt, to 1908 
From 1908 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), given by Ali Arabi in May, 1908 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Pottery List, L. 1757, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Ali Arabi (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
One side flat. Eyelet at the top. Clay: dense. Glaze: bright blue.
Small amulets made of faience, stone, ceramic, metal, or glass were common personal possessions in ancient Egypt. They were most frequently fashioned in the form of gods and goddesses or of animals sacred to them. Amulets were believed to give their owners magical protection from a wide variety of ills and evil forces, including sickness, infertility, and death in childbirth. They were often provided with loops so they could be strung and worn as a necklace. Some amulets were made to place on the body of the deceased to protect the soul in the hereafter.
- Collection Area(s)
- Ancient Egyptian Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum