Yamanaka & Company, to 1907 
From 1907 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Yamanaka & Company in 1907 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Kakemono List, L. 608, pg. 159, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. The majority of Charles Lang Freer’s purchases from Yamanaka & Company were made at its New York branch. Yamanaka & Company maintained branch offices, at various times, in Boston, Chicago, London, Peking, Shanghai, Osaka, Nara, and Kyoto. During the summer, the company also maintained seasonal locations in Newport, Bar Harbor, and Atlantic City.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Yamanaka and Co. (C.L. Freer source)
- Published References
- Ann Yonemura. Hokusai: Volume One. Exh. cat. Washington, 2006. cat. 44, p. 59-61.
- Ann Yonemura et al. Hokusai: Volume Two. Exh. cat. Washington, 2006. cat. 43, p. 31, 59.
- Harold P. Stern Narasaki Muneshige. Ukiyo-e shuka. vol. 16, Tokyo. nos. 114-15.
- Nagata Seiji. Hokusai bijutsukan (Hokusai Museum). 5 vols., Tokyo. nos. 18-23.
- Hokusai nikuhitsuga taisei (Compilation of paintings by Hokusai). Tokyo. nos. 100-05.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum